La Vigna di Leonardo (Leonardo’s Vineyard) in Milan is the place where Leonardo da Vinci grew his grapes for making wine, while he was working on The Last Supper in the refectory of the convent of Santa Maria della Grazie, just on the other side of the road.
The vineyard, a rectangular plot measuring 60 by 175 metres, was given to Leonardo by Ludovico Sforza, Duke of Milan, in 1498. Having come for a family of winemakers, the vineyard meant a lot to Leonardo and he remained involved with it even after he left Milan.
The vineyard is accessed via the Casa degli Atellani (also know as Libreria degli Attellani), the only remaining house from the period in which the convent of Santa Maria della Grazie and the Last Supper were made. A visit of the vineyard also includes a visit of this magnificent house that once belonged to the Atellanis, a family of diplomats and courtiers.
The visit is by tour, which lasts around 25 minutes. Each group is accompanied by a member of staff and audio guides are available in 10 languages.