Good To KnowOpen also Mondays, Outside Milan
SpecialisationExhibitions of international stature
The Scuderie del Castello Visconteo (Stables of the Visconti Castle) in Pavia is an exhibition space that regularly hosts exhibitions of international stature. The past years have seen retrospective exhibitions on Monet, Rembrandt, Chagall, Matisse, Renoir and many others.
The Visconti Castle was commissioned in 1360 by Galeazzo II Visconti, member of the Visconti dynasty and ruler of Milan, after having taken the city of Pavia. The castle included a large park used for hunting, which originally stretched for more than ten kilometres all the way to the Certosa di Pavia. On 24 February 1525 this park was the scene of the Battle of Pavia, which ended the Italian War of 1521–26 between France and Spain.
For centuries the castle was used as barracks, until it was bought by the city of Pavia and restored during the 1920s. After the second world war the City Museums were housed in the castle, later followed by the exhibition space now known as the Scuderie del Castello Visconteo.